|Black Bean Burger with all the toppings!|
The Post Punk Kitchen Top 100 for 2012 alerted me to the fact that archived editions of Vegetarian Times magazine are available to read for free via Google Books! BTW - if you haven't looked through the PPK Top 100 list, you should check it out for all kinds of wonderful vegan things that came out last year! Anyway, while looking through the old magazines, I came across this recipe for Black Bean Burgers with Tempeh Crisps that I decided to try!
The recipe is also available over at their website, where I also discovered that they post all of the recipes from their magazines (also available for free!). Now, you have hundreds and hundreds of recipes to try out. Only a few of their recipes are vegan or can be made vegan, so watch out for those recipes that have dairy or eggs.
|All the Toppings|
Black Bean Burgers:
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup bread crumbs (we used probably 1 1/2 to 2 cups of Panko bread crumbs)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 Tbs. ketchup
- ½ to ¾ cup water, or as needed to process
- 12 oz. tempeh, sliced into thin strips
- 2 Tbs. chili powder
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make Black Bean Burgers: Combine black beans, brown rice, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, scallions, chili powder and catsup in food processor, and process, adding just enough water to blend, until smooth. Form into 6 equal-sized patties, and chill 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make Tempeh Crisps: Toss tempeh strips with chili powder, salt and pepper. Spread strips evenly on sheet pan, and bake about 15 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium heat, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add patties, cooking 5 minutes on each side, or until heated through. Place each burger on whole wheat bun. Garnish with crisps and favorite condiments.