Sunday, April 8, 2012

Tempeh in Coconut Sauce


A couple of nights ago, I made way too much rice for a stir-fry so we had tons of brown rice left over in the fridge. I needed to use up all of this extra rice and I didn't want to buy any new groceries. As it turns out, I had all of the ingredients required to prepare this tempeh dish and it ended up being a delicious dinner!

Here are the ingredients that you will need:

1 package tempeh, sliced
1 tsp cumin
1 can of coconut milk
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, sliced
2 chili peppers,diced
2 tsp sugar
1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1" piece ginger, grated or chopped fine
Thai basil, chopped
4 cups cooked rice

Saute the tempeh in the oil until browned. Add the onion, cumin, ginger, and garlic; saute for one minute. Add the coconut milk with the pepper, hot peppers, sugar, and Thai basil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Serve over rice.

Since Paul and I tend to like our veggies to taste a little more fresh and crispy, I think I will make a few small alterations for next time. I will fry the tempeh as usual, and then add the garlic, ginger, and cumin to saute for a minute. Then, I will add the coconut milk, sugar, hot peppers and Thai basil as per the recipe. When the mixture has about 3-5 minutes left to cook, I will add the bell pepper and onion to the mix.

In addition, I think I will add some green beans and bamboo shoots because there is a dish at a Thai restaurant that I love ordering that has those two ingredients. You really could add any of your favourite veggies, like broccoli, bok choy, cauliflower, snow peas, or any others.

2 comments:

  1. hi. i would like to subscribe to your posts. would you be willing to activate the e-mail subscription thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I activated it properly - I added it to the left side column under "Follow by Email". Let me know if it doesn't work - hopefully it does! :) Thanks for subscribing!

      Delete