Monday, May 21, 2012

Fruit Popsicles


Now that it's getting hot outside, it's the perfect time to make popsicles! I went out and purchased a popsicle mold (they had a great selection at Bed Bath & Beyond) to make the frozen treats. I wanted to make them a bit healthier, so I made these ones using fruit. You really can use just about any kind of fruit juice combined with fruit and I used what I had on hand - pineapple juice, kiwi, raspberry, and mango sorbet. You could mix in another other kind of fruit or fruit juice that you wanted - orange juice, banana, watermelon, and the list goes on. You could even blend in some soy milk for a creamier treat, or make ones with chocolate soy milk and coconut for a delicious chocolate popsicle! The possibilities are endless!


I put some pineapple juice (probably about 2 cups worth), 2 chopped kiwis, a handful of strawberries, and a big scoop of mango sorbet into the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and throw it into the freezer.

Something that Paul also reminded me that I completely forgot (and I learned the hard way, when my first popsicle got half-stuck inside the mold!) was that if the popsicle gets stuck inside the mold when you are trying to get it out, you should run it under some warm water to loosen it up.

I think it is great to make your own frozen treats at home - I'm sure that many store-bought ones are not only expensive, but have lots of added sugar. These ones are 100% fruit and they are so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment