Friday, June 22, 2012

Vegan Mini Donuts


I am so happy and amazed by how cute this mini donuts turned out! Not only do they look adorable, but they taste fantastic. They are light, fluffy, and flavorful. Plus, they're vegan and baked instead of fried. I'm not under the illusion that these are healthy in any way since they're still baked goods; however, they're donuts that I can actually eat and I'm sure they're slightly healthier considering they aren't fried in oil and don't contain all sorts of animal ingredients.



The flavors that I made were vanilla with sprinkles, cinnamon sugar, and French toast (aka. maple). My favorite was definitely the cinnamon sugar, followed by the sprinkles, and lastly, the maple. I thought I'd like the maple the best, but the maple flavor didn't come through as strong as I would have liked it.


The recipe is from Vegan Yum Yum! I wouldn't change anything about the actual batter recipe as they turned out perfectly. Oh, I should add that you'll need a Mini Donut Pan to make these, available on Amazon or perhaps a specialty bake ware shop.

Here's the recipe (makes 24 donuts):

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp (scant) nutmeg
1 tiny pinch or shake cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
egg replacer for 1 egg
4 tbsp Earth Balance

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium low heat and mix until earth balance is melted. This mixture should NOT get too hot - it should feel slightly warm.

Add wet to dry and mix until just combined. It should form a very soft dough.

Pour the mixture into the mini donut pan, smoothing the batter out with your finger when it's in the pan. Make sure that the mixture fills each place about 3/4 full and doesn't cover the space in the middle (the part that makes the donut hole). Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool before decorating.

To make the vanilla with sprinkles:
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp soymilk

Mix together. Put into a bowl that you can dip the tops of the donuts into. Then, dip the donut into a small bowl of sprinkles.

To make the cinnamon sugar:
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix together. Dip the donuts into the vanilla icing first, and then into the cinnamon sugar.

To make the French toast:
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp soy milk
1 tsp maple syrup

Mix together and dip the donuts into the mixture. I found that the maple flavor didn't really come through, so I might try to find maple extract to add to the mix, or maybe increase the amount of maple syrup for next time. They still tasted good, but I just wish they were a little more maple-y.


1 comment: