Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Martha Stewart's Peanut Butter Cookies...Made Vegan!


This is first attempt at taking a non-Vegan cookie recipe and making it Vegan! I have a whole magazine filled with cookies by none other than Martha Stewart, so I thought I would take a classic recipe and make it Vegan. This is your basic peanut butter cookie with no dairy or eggs, made with all natural peanut butter.

The cookies turned out okay, but not perfect. I found the dough to be a bit dry and crumbly, and the cookies themselves are a little bit dry as well. They have a very delicious peanut buttery taste to them and my fiance, Paul seems to think they are yummy, so that's good enough for me! I think they're pretty good, too.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could make these cookies any better, please let me know! I think maybe I should try a different egg replacer than the one I used. Someone on Twitter suggested using ground flax seeds plus water in place of the egg replacer.  I've also heard you can use banana, but I don't want to alter the flavor of the cookie since it tastes perfect just the way it is.

Here's the recipe! 

1 1/2 cups crunchy or smooth peanut butter (I used a bit of both)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer plus 2 tbsp water (in place of 1 egg)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.  Set aside.
2.  In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, sugar, and margarine until smooth.  Add the egg replacer.  Then, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing to combine.
3.  Pinch off the douch by the tablespoon and roll into balls.  Place 2" apart on the baking sheet.  Using a fork, press balls in a criss cross pattern, flattening to a 1/2" thickness.
4.  Bake, rotating halway through, for 18-22 minutes.

I would have flattened these with a fork to make the wonderful classic peanut butter cookie criss cross pattern had the dough not been so crumbly!  I flattened them down and they cooked fine and managed to stay together just enough.  I'd like to try them again using a different egg replacer as they taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment