2 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (about one cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander seed, crushed with a mortar & pestle
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1-15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions in olive oil for 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the tomato paste, coriander, cumin, black pepper and salt; saute for 1 minute.
3. Add the quinoa and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas and the broth; cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to very low, cover, and cook for 18 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water. Stir occasionally.
5. Fluff with a fork and serve.